Aultmore Distillery is one of the lesser known single malt whisky distilleries. But whisky connoisseurs will know Dewar’s. The name of the Aultmore distillery comes from An t-Allt Mòr and it means “great spring” in Gaelic and refers to the distillery’s water source, the Auchinderran stream.
In 1896 the distillery was built by Alexander Edward, who also owned the Bennrinnes and Oban distilleries. At the very beginning, the distillery was driven by a mill wheel, and shortly afterwards it was switched to a steam engine, which was famous for its extraordinary endurance. At that time, as today, whisky was very popular.
In 1971, the Aultmore Distillery underwent a revitalization. It was completely rebuilt, starting with the demolition of old buildings and erection of new ones with an industrial appearance. Two new stills have also been added. The distillation process is relatively slow here. The shape of the stills allows for a large reflux, which in turn makes the taste of the distillate very distinctive.