The distillery was founded in 1817 by brothers John and Thomas McClelland, and they located the place of the distillery on their farm in Bladnoch, near Wigtown. The distillery was passed down from generation to generation until 1905, when production ceased.
The distillery had been producing whisky again since 1911, when Dunville & Co. whisky became the owner of the distillery. The Bladnoch distillery was producing whisky until 1937, when the owners decided to leave the business.
Ross & Coulter became the next owner and unfortunately did not do well to the distillery’s business as he sold all the mature barrels and sold the distillation equipment to Sweden.
Since then, the distillery had different owners, but it was in 1956 that the Bladnoch distillery started distillation again, and in 1966 the distillery was expanded, thanks to which it had 4 stills.
Then, in 1983, Bell became the owner of the distillery, thanks to which it became part of the concern today known as Diageo.
Unfortunately, due to this solution, the distillery began to produce much less whisky, and the whisky itself began to be used by Bell’s blenders, which caused the character of the whisky to change from light and floral to nutty-spicy.
In the 21st century, the Irish Armstrong brothers became the owners of the Bladnoch distillery, thanks to whom the taste and character of the whisky was restored to the original. Unfortunately, Diageo only agreed to produce 100,000 liters of distillate, which was within profitability limits. Production finally stopped in 2014.
Fortunately, Australian businessman David Prior became the new owner in 2015, and the distillery has been producing whisky again since 2017.