The Glengyle Distillery was founded in 1873 by William Mitchel. The distillery was closed in 1925, but in 2004 it started operating again. Although many tourists do not visit this distillery, the sale of whisky from it is extremely high.
Glengyle belongs to the Loch Lomond Distillers group, therefore the whisky produced here must have its own name. The whisky they produce here is called Kilkerran and it is a transformation of the Gaelic name Ceann Loch Cille Chiarain which refers to the name of the settlement that used to be in the area where the distillery is today.