The increase in sales of spirits in the USA

According to the latest Nielsen data, off-trade sales of spirits in The US increased by 26.2% in the week ending August 22 compared to the same period in 2019, and total alcohol sales in the US grew 18% over this period. This gives the seventh consecutive week with no decline for the sector.

Danelle Kosmal, vice president of beverage alcohol at Nielsen, said: ““Off-premise alcohol also has experienced steady and somewhat consistent trends since June. Alcohol grew 18% in off-premise channels for the latest week ending 22 August 2020."

The sales of spirits in the off-trade segment increased mainly due to whisky, which accounted for 33% of the total increase in sales of spirits in these channels.

And according to a different research conducted by the IWSR, about 80% of alcohol sales in the USA came from off-trade channels, and the remaining 20% ​​came from on-trade. Online sales are particularly spiking - e-commerce sales of alcohol are expected to grow by over 300% year on year by July 2020. IWSR says this is largely due to consumer convenience.

Source: The Spirits Business

Check also
Our offices
Contact us